Solstice is a collaboration tool that allows multiple users to share content to the display simultaneously. With a Solstice-enabled display, any number of users can easily connect, share, and control the display.
Solstice is currently installed in G02, 132, and 303, with more locations coming soon!
Getting Started / Connecting your Device
- Use your web browser to navigate to the URL displayed on screen. You can connect using your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. If using an iPad, iPhone, or Android device, download the Solstice app (iOS / Android).
- Follow the instructions on screen to download the Solstice software. Once you have the Solstice app open, choose the display you would like to use from the list of available displays or enter the IP address.
- From the share panel, choose whether to share your desktop, a specific app window, or a media file. You can share as many different items as you would like.
Controlling the Display
Anyone collaborating can manage the Solstice console, including rearranging, stacking, and hiding content. To access the control panel, select the “Go to Display View” button in the upper right hand corner of the share panel.
- Hiding content: You can drag content to the left side of the screen to put it on deck. This will hide the content until you drag it back onto the main screen.
- Adjusting layout: If you right click anywhere on the main screen (not covered by shared content), you can choose how your content is displayed – aligned to a grid or freeform. You can also drag the shared content to rearrange the windows on screen.
- Organizing content:You can stack content on top of one another to sort content into groups. Right click anywhere on a shared post to make it full screen (pushing all other content on deck), create a stack, or delete it. To organize content by user – click on a user’s “meeple”, or avatar icon, from the bottom of the display window and choose to show, hide, stack, or delete that user’s content.
Disconnecting from Solstice
When you are ready to disconnect from the Solstice display, select “Disconnect” from your Solstice window, or close the Solstice app completely.
How many people can share to a Solstice screen at once?
There is no limit to the number of users or posts being simultaneously shared to Solstice. The Solstice software will automatically rearrange to fit all of the posts on screen. Optionally, you can drag posts to the “On Deck” area to make space or temporarily hide a post.
How can I familiarize myself with Solstice before I use it in my class?
There is a Solstice pod installed on the 3rd floor of Annenberg, just outside of room 303. Feel free to stop by and play around with connecting your device and sharing content. If you need any assistance or would like a walk-through, please request an appointment.
Related Blog Posts
Solstice is our new solution for screen-sharing and collaboration! Solstice is a new wireless display technology that will allow you and your students to easily display your devices (Mac, PC, tablet, smartphone) on screen. With Solstice, multiple users can...