Annenberg 303 – Baldwin Learning Studio
Annenberg 303 is a large learning space, with a multi-display unit and video conferencing capabilities.
Capacity: 49 (22 tables, 49 chairs)
- wirelessly display form any device via Solstice
- present from resident computer (Mac) or laptop
- audio/video conferencing (cameras on both presenter and audience, room microphones on ceiling)
- document camera
U-Stream URL: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sesp303
Quick Reference Guide
- Room 303 is controlled by the touch-screen monitor on the podium. Tap the screen to start up the system.
- From the “Presents” screen, choose which source(s) and layout you want to display. Alternately, you can manually select your layout by choosing a layout from the top of the screen (either 1 or 2 sources) and then selecting which sources to display.
- When you are finished using the room, select “System Off” from the lower right corner of the touch panel to shutdown the system.
- Choose Solstice from the preset options.
- Enter the IP address displayed on screen into your web browser to download the Solstice client to your device (follow the on-screen instructions).
- For more information about using Solstice – click here.
- Choose “Resident Computer” from touch-screen monitor.
- Use the keyboard and mouse located on the pull-out tray in podium to control the computer.
- Choose “Laptop” from touch-screen monitor.
- Connect your device to the HDMI or Mini Display Port cable in the podium. If you are using a tablet, you can also connect your own VGA adapter.
- Choose “Document Camera” from the touch-screen monitor.
- Tap “Controls” to zoom in/out and adjust the camera focus.
Room 303 has streaming capabilities, with cameras at both the front and back of the room. To choose your streaming settings (including which camera to use), select “Camera” from the right-hand side of the touch panel.
- For further information about streaming, including how to access your stream and recordings, go to: stream.sesp.northwestern.edu.
Troubleshooting & Tips
- Adjust volume using the “Presentation Volume” buttons on the touch screen, as well as the volume on your device.
- Use the lightbulb icon on the touch panel to reboot devices that are not working properly.
How do I connect to the wireless internet?
While at Annenberg, we recommend connecting to the “sesplearningstudios” WiFi. The password is @nn3nb3rg.
You can also use the “Northwestern” WiFi by logging in with your Northwestern NetID and password.
How do I report an issue with the room?
To report an issue with the technology in the classroom, please send us a message detailing the problem. If you need assistance after hours, you can contact NUIT at 847-467-ROOM (7666).
How do I display multiple sources at once?
Use the “Presets” or the Layout Options on top of the screen to select 2 separate sources to display.
Alternately, you can use the Solstice option to share unlimited sources on the same display. This allows users from around the room to wirelessly share content. With Solstice, you can show several sources at once (side-by-side), as well as quickly switch between different sources. For more information about using Solstice, click here.
How can I temporarily hide a source or turn off the display?
To temporarily hide the display, use the touch panel and click “Image Mute” in the upper right hand corner of the display preview. This will hide the display until you are ready, without having to wait for the system to start up. This is a great option if you want to set up a screen before sharing it, or if you want to temporarily turn off the display to prevent distraction during another activity.
How do I project content from my USB flash drive?
At the podium, there is a USB extension among the other cords. You can plug your USB drive into this extension and find the files on the resident computer.
How do I project from my iPad?
Plug in – You can project your iPad by plugging it in at the podium if you have the appropriate adapter.
Can I see the source displayed in full screen on the touch panel?
Yes, you can view a source in full screen by tapping on the “Controls” icon for that display. This will also give you any extra options for that particular source, including zoom and focus options. To return to the main screen, simply tap “Return” in the bottom right corner.
I plugged in my Mac, but the windows on my screen are not showing on the display?
How can I adjust the cameras in the room?
The cameras in 303 are set up to act as the webcam for the resident computer. To adjust which camera is being used (audience/presenter), as well as the position and zoom of the camera, tap the “Camera” icon from the right side of the touch panel. From here, you can choose whether to use the “Audience” or “Presenter” camera and adjust the position using the arrow buttons. You will see a preview of the camera in this window.
One of the display panels won't turn on - what do I do?
Occasionally, one or more of the display panels goes dark. The easiest way to fix this issue is to power-cycle the entire display wall. To do so, choose “Room” from the right hand side of the touch panel. Select “Displays” and then turn “Wall Power” off and back on. If you continue to experience issues, please let us know.
How can I stream or record an event in the room?
In several of our Annenberg “Smart Classrooms”, you have the ability to live stream and record from the cameras in the room. You can find instructions for starting the stream and accessing your recording at stream.sesp.northwestern.edu.
If possible, you should test your stream at least 24 hours in advance to make sure everything is functioning properly.